29 January 2021
STATEMENT – GPS Association Sport and Activities 2021 return
The Great Public Schools Association Office is pleased to announce the commencement of 2021 Sport and Activities on Friday 29 January. The GPS Association continues to monitor implications of the global health pandemic (COVID-19) and will adjust restrictions in line with QLD Health advice and member school support.
Term one will see the nine (9) GPS member schools participate in Cricket, Volleyball, Debating, Sailing, Swimming, Rowing and Music. For a copy of the full GPS Calendar, visit www.gpsqld.org.au.
The Executive Officer, in consultation with member schools, has and will continue if necessary, to make changes to the format of competitions or spectator attendance in accordance with each Sport Associations’ governing body and follow State and Federal Government health guidelines. The GPS asks that our communities follow restrictions on the number of spectators permitted at GPS fixtures and championship events:
|Cricket||2 parent/guardian spectators per participating student|
|Volleyball||1-2 parent/guardian spectators per participating student (subject to square metres)|
|Debating||2 parent/guardian spectators per participating student Senior A debates held in halls/auditoriums (non-classroom)|
|Rowing||2 parent/guardian spectators per participating student (pre-paid parking required)|
|Sailing||2 parent/guardian spectators per participating student|
|Swimming||no parent/guardian spectators (due to Stadium QLD restrictions)|
|Music||1-2 parent/guardian spectators per participating student subject to venue capacity|
The GPS Association was notified by Stadiums QLD that no yelling, cheering, war cries, shouting, hugging, or high fives are permitted for any events onsite at Brisbane Aquatic Centre. This includes coaches, competitors and spectators in all areas within the complex. Give the restrictions it is unlikely that spectators will be permitted at GPS Swimming meets.
GPS Member Schools will continue to adopt the principles below regarding movement around venues and social distancing:
- – Arrive, Play, Leave: Arrive at the venue ready to play, play, and depart immediately post-match.
- – No student spectators.
- – Restriction of spectators at each venue to mitigate risk.
- – Recording of spectator attendance in a contactless manner.
- – Designated ingress and egress points, where possible.
- – The one-way movement of people around fields and venues.
- – Clearly visible social distance markers.
- – No co-mingling of groups in playing spaces/zones.
- – Management and segmentation of groups of participants through scheduling.
- – Implementation of strict hygiene measures at all entry and exit points, communal areas and very limited use of changerooms.
In line with Queensland Health and Industry Covid-safe plans access is restricted to anyone who has:
- – COVID-19 or has been in direct contact with a known case of Covid-19 within the last 14 days;
- – Is awaiting a COVID-19 results;
- – Has flu-like symptoms or who is a high health risk (eg. Due to age or pre-existing conditions);
- – Travelled internationally; and
- – Travelled to a Covid declared hotspot.
The GPS Association will continue to monitor the health guidelines and rules associated with COVID-19 and update our communities as needed.
The Association’s best wishes are extended to the nine (9) member schools for a safe and successful 2021 season.