30 April 2021
STATEMENT – GPS Association Sport and Activities Term 2 2021
The Great Public Schools Association Office continues to monitor the global health pandemic of COVID-19 and aligning with the QLD Government Health directives.
Queensland’s COVID Safe Future outlines the current restrictions for Queensland that will reconnect communities. A notable change for GPS implementation, only applicable to outdoor activities, is that there is no longer the requirement to follow an Industry Plan. Based on the eight Industry Plans currently in place, the Plans that fall into this category include:
- Filed Sports (Football, & Rugby)
- Outdoor Sports (Cross country, Tennis and Track & Field)
Compliance with an Industry COVID Safe Plan plays a vital factor in indoor sports participation (Basketball, Chess & Volleyball), and the GPS is currently unchanged for these activities.
The removal of the Industry Plans for outdoor sports allows the GPS to return to some Pre-COVID match day procedures, commencing round two that includes:
- Removal of 15minute separation gap between fixtures
- Return of post-match functions
- Return usage of changerooms for all levels
The GPS Member schools will continue:
- promoting physical distancing
- promotion of good hand and respiratory hygiene
- collection of contact tracing information (through EVA QR Codes); and
- the undertaking of regular cleaning and disinfection of frequently touched surfaces and equipment.
|Sport & Activity||Spectator limits|
|Cross Country, Football, Tennis, Rugby, Track & Field||No limit on spectators
|Volleyball & Basketball||Indoor Industry Plan
Up to a total of 500 spectators (subject to square metres) in an indoor space with COVID Checklist
|Chess||Note no Approved Industry Plan
· Held in halls/auditoriums (non-classroom) spectators based on 2m per person, up to 75% capacity of venue
· Held in classrooms, up to 5 spectators per team based on a 60m2 classroom
The GPS acknowledges that advice and the current situation has and will continue to change rapidly. As the situation evolves, the GPS will continue to monitor and act accordingly throughout 2021. Our primary objective was and continues to be the students’ welfare and community safety during GPS Sport and Activities.